Monday, April 1, 2013

Want Rest?

In my bible study, we are overviewing the Book of Numbers for the next 2 weeks.  The DVD from "The Amazing Collection" on Numbers zeroed in on 2 key points: 
  • Belief brings rest.
  • Lack of trust brings unrest.
The Israelites came out of Egypt promised by God to entered a "land filled with milk and honey".  For one year they were provided daily manna & quail for food and cloud & fire for direction from God.  Though their needs were met daily, they still struggled with worry, discontentment and lack of trust. 

Sound familiar? 

I would bet that you too struggle with these issues on a daily basis.  Though we do not have as many tangible reminders of God's daily presence and provision, we do have the Holy Spirit which indwells each person who believes in Jesus as Lord and Savior.  The Bible also provides daily guidance and nourishment for us. 
 
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the (woman) of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

As godly women we need to stop worrying about everything and trying to control all things. Our lack of trust in our heavenly Father only produces a spirit of fear, anxiousness and unbelief.  We are limiting our own entry into our Promised Land when we don't "be still" and let God be God. 

Recently I have been going through a trial in my life.  For the first time I truly chose to "be still" and let God get me through it.  And He did- God showed up in the chaos and confusion in ways I didn't think was possible.  As I was finishing up week 2 of this trial, I felt very weary and tired- my spiritual tank was drying up.  I also was finding less time to sit quietly with God- distractions, obligations, noise- all filled my space, edging out the peace of God.  I became so angry with myself- I felt so close to a spiritual victory but so tired from the journey I had already traveled. 



I thought about my experiences with running and training for a marathon- the race only really brings at mile 20.  By mile 20, the excitement has worn off, the tiredness has set in and the mental capacity to keep going has almost run out.  BUT the key is to keep moving forward- to not stop- continue to push through the last 6.2 miles and reach the finish line. 




The same applies in our own struggles and trials- even though the journey ahead looks impossible and the will to go on seems bleak.  If you don't keep moving forward, believing and trusting in God as you go, you will miss out on your own finish line- your own Promised Land victory. 

Remember, belief brings rest!

Isaiah 26:3-4 "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.  Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal."


Jenny

 

No comments:

Post a Comment