Monday, May 14, 2012

Running a What? A marathon? Part 1..

Yes I am running a marathon on November 4, 2012.  This will be my third marathon.  Before marriage & kids, I ran 2 marathons in the Baltimore/Washington area. 

In January 1998, I met my husband, Glenn, on a blind date.  We were set up by mutual friends & needless to say, it worked! 

Before I met my husband, I was a runner.  I have always been athletic- played multiple sports growing up- played field hockey in college.  For most athletes, college is the end to their competitive careers though not your competitive drive.  That still exists- so many former athletes become runners, bikers, triathletes, tennis players, etc.  So am I built like a runner?  No way... I definitely do not have a runner's frame- maxing out at 5'2".  But I liked the idea of staying in shape and competing at least against myself. 

In October 1999, Glenn and I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in about 4 hours and 30 minutes (I think Glenn's time was faster but there is more to that story...).  We had a good time training together on weekends- putting in the long runs on Saturday mornings.  A year later I completed the Baltimore Marathon in about 4 hours and 20 minutes.



Training for a marathon takes time & commitment- you need to prepare your body to endure the run.  Our spiritual walk is the same- we need to train ourselves to follow Christ.  It takes time & commitment to stay on the narrow path.  1 Timothy 4:7-8 tells us to "train yourself to be godly.  Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come".  Do you have a spiritual training routine?  Do you set aside time daily to read God's Word and pray?  This type of training is of eternal value.

Our marathon story to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment