Sunday, July 8, 2012

One hot run

Yesterday I ran 10 miles.  It was hot.  I started around 8 am which is not ideal for summertime especially in Florida.  My husband was out of town so I had to start when the babysitter could come.  Babysitter arrived and I was off.

I planned on running an out and back which means I would run out 5 miles and come back the same 5 miles.  Not an exciting run but I just needed to get a long run in.  My last long run was a month ago which isn't good since I will be starting my "official" training program in a week. 

Physically I can run 10 miles- sometimes it is the mental part that trips me up.  Knowing that it was going to be a hot & humid run, I knew it might be a physical & mental battle.  What did I do to prepare myself for my run?

First I bought water on the run and a gel.  Unfortunately I didn't have enough water with me but I managed.  Note to self:  buy a fuel belt with many water bottles. 

Next I prepared a playlist.  I downloaded a sermon by Louie Giglio.  It would last 55 minutes which would give me something to focus on.  I really enjoyed the sermon which took me to my half way point. 

Then I switched gears to one of my playlists and jammed out to
"Stolen" by Brandon Heath- love it
"I Will Not Be Moved" by Natalie Grant- motivating song
"I Will Follow You" by Chris Tomlin- took me down the home stretch :)

 About mile 8 the heat and lack of water started to take effect.  By mile 10, I was done and home- YEAH! 

Quick cool down- pay the sitter- drink lots of water.  I stretched out really well- I have been trying to not skimp on stretching and I can tell it is paying off.  My hamstrings and hips are a lot less tight and I am not too sore the day after a run. 

Thoughts I'd like to share:
  • summer running in Florida stinks!
  • the "official" training hasn't even started- Yikes!
  • run another marathon before turning 40- what was I thinking?
But I do love to run & I will be back out there tomorrow!

Proverbs 4:25-26 "Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.  Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm."



1 comment:

  1. Jenny - I finished catching up with your blog this morning. Your insight relating your physical and spiritual training is wonderful and very helpful. I am sure God is leading you as you write and brings scriptures to your mind. I understand the uncertainty you feel sometimes about the blog but your witness is bold and your sincere concern to help others with their spiritual training definitely comes across. Taking the time to write the blog is also a good example for your family and is building memories. Keep it up !! It is a spiritual shot in the arm for me.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete