Saturday, July 14, 2012

Training officially begins- Week 16

In 16 weeks I will be running the New York City marathon.  This week I picked my training program for the upcoming marathon.  Based on my schedule I picked a free training program by Hal Higdon- I plan to run about 4-5 times a week with one yoga session.  When my boys get back to school, I will probably bike once a week, run 4 times and do yoga once. 

The long runs are the most important piece to marathon training.  I am going to do my long runs on Fridays. 

My training program (Marathon Training Schedule- Intermediate 1):
Sun Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat
1 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m pace 6 Yoga
2 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m pace 11 Yoga
3 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12 Yoga
4 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m pace 9 Yoga
5 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m pace 14 Yoga
6 4 m run 7 m run Bike Rest 7 m run 15 Yoga
7 4 m run 5 m run Bike Rest Rest Half Marathon Yoga
8 4 m run 8 m run Bike Rest 8 m pace 17 Yoga
9 5 m run 8 m run Bike Rest 8 m run 18 Yoga
10 5 m run 5 m run Bike Rest 8 m pace 13 Yoga
11 5 m run 8 m run Bike Rest 5 m pace 20 Yoga
12 5 m run 5 m run Bike Rest 8 m run 12 Yoga
13 5 m run 8 m run Bike Rest 5 m pace 20 Yoga
14 5 m run 6 m run Bike Rest 4 m pace 12 Yoga
15 4 m run 5 m run Bike Rest 3 m run 8 Yoga
16 3 m run 4 m run Bike Rest Rest 2 m run 2 m run


Glenn picked a program from the Runner's World Smart Coach.  This program allows you to customize a plan based on your past results and current goals.  Glenn's plan has 3 running days and 4 cross train/rest days.  This should work well for Glenn due to his work and travel schedule. 

Last night at the Tampa Yankees game (New York Yankees minor league team) we casually pinpointed our mutual goals for the upcoming race.  After 2 months of running 60+ miles a month, I realize that a sub 4 hour marathon time might be a little unrealistic.  My main goal for training and running the race needs to remain focused on finishing injury free & strong. 

Our goals for our marathon are:
  1. To run the whole race.
  2. To remain injury free.
  3. To beat Oprah's time :) .
To finish the race in 4 hours would just be a nice surprise.

"Therefore I do not run like a (wo)man running aimlessly..." (1 Corinthians 9:26)  When running a race or running with the Lord, run with purpose.  We are here for a moment- live with a purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment