Monday, September 17, 2012

What's on your Playlist?

Last week I was coming home from a meeting and heard this great song called "Well Done" by Moriah Peters.  Music has always been a big part of my life from pre-teen years to adulthood- music has been an ongoing love. 

Do you have a theme song?  You know, the one that is played as you enter a room- a song that identifies your current stage of life. 
  • High School-  "Unbelieveable" by EMF with my best friend, Lisa or "Love Shack" by B-52s which I performed in a lip sync contest.
  • College-  I loved Styx's song "Come Sail Away"- it was played many nights while hanging out with my soccer boyfriend and his teammates. 
  • Post college (pre-Glenn)- "Counting Blue Cars" by Dishwalla or anything by a local band, Everything.
  • Dating Glenn-  While dating Glenn, my ears were opened to lots of music.  Glenn has good taste in music BUT if he played anything by The Grateful Dead, I would fall asleep.
  • Marrying Glenn-  Our wedding song was "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison.
  • Married with kids-  Now that we have entered this stage of life, we still love music and our kids do as well.  My IPod has country songs by Taylor Swift & Rodney Adkins, christian songs by Hillsong United, Chris Tomlin & Brandon Heath, and dance songs by Black Eyed Peas & Katie Perry.  I also really like The Avett Brothers!
Recently there are 4 songs that have spoken to me about my walk with Christ and current stage of  life.
 
1)  "Stolen" by Brandon Heath.  This song is about a prodigal coming home to the Father and how the Father continued to chase after this prodigal until his heart was stolen.  I love to pick up the pace on my run when listening to it.

"Stolen" by Brandon Heath
 
2)  "I Refuse" by Josh Wilson.  This song is about living out your God-given purpose and not turning a blind eye to the hurt and loss around you.  My favorite lyric is "I don't want to live like I don't care- I don't want to say another empty prayer- I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else to do what God has called me to do myself- oh, I could choose not to move but I refuse".  AWESOME!

"I Refuse" by Josh Wilson 

3)  "Learning to be the Light" by Newworldson.  This summer I got a chance to meet with a small group of ladies to study "Nehemiah" by Kelly Minter.  The first time I heard this song I thought of these ladies because we all desire to know God and share Him with those around us.  We are learning to be the Light!

"Learning to be the Light" by Newworldson
 

4)  "Well Done" by Moriah Peters.  Great song- awesome lyrics- definitely want this song playing as I enter a room.  One of my favorite parts of the song says "Well done, well done, I'm gonna chase You, Lord, I'm gonna show the world Your love, woah, I'll run, I'll run, I'm gonna run this race to hear You say well done". 

"Well Done" by Moriah Peters
 

For me, I want to do things in my life that honor God.  I am not sure if running a marathon qualifies as a God-honoring thing.  I am sure some would agrue No but I have to trust that God has given me the legs to run, the time to run, and the words to write as I train for my race.  My hope and prayer is that the words I share on this blog will encourage you and
  • allow your "heart to be stolen" by God,
  • find "what God has called YOU to do",
  • "learn to follow His Light" and
  •  continue "running your race so YOU can hear Him say Well done".
So what's your theme song?  What do you want people to hear when you enter a room?  How does music inspire you?

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment