Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What are you chasing?

Today I had a productive day.  I cleaned the house, started to refinish our leather chair (we will see how that turns out!) and worked on my teaching for summer bible study.  It rained for most of the day so I did not get my run in.  It was nice to give my body a break- I am sure my dog was happy as well.

Yesterday I was able to train with my marathon partner- my husband, Glenn.  Our boys were at a sleep-over so we were able to run together in the morning.  We did a familiar loop- a little over 4 miles.  Desi, our dog, came along which made it hard for us to run side by side.  Glenn ran a step or two behind me so that he won't get tripped up by the dog.  Desi and I held the lead for the majority of the run then Glenn took off for the last 1/2 mile-  Desi desperately tried to keep with Glenn.  Since he was attached to me, he had to run at my pace. 


Desi and I before the run


After our run, we talked about the upcoming marathon-  that it was going to be hot training this summer, that we hoped to stay injury-free during the training and discussed our finish time goal.  I would love to finish the marathon in 4 hours- that would be awesome but realistically I should shoot for maintaining a 9:30 per mile pace which would 4 hours and 9 minutes.  Glenn, the wiser and more mature one in our marriage, pointed out that we started this "journey" with the mind-set of finishing the race.  Deep down I know that is the goal but what if???

What am I chasing?  What makes me run after a faster marathon time?  Why can't I just be satisfied to finish the race- strong and healthy?  Or just be happy to finish- really it is 26.2 miles?  My inner athlete (a God-given gift) desires to compete even if it is just against the clock or my husband.  Just kidding- I have always lost to Glenn in competitive activities (even Golden Tee).

I have an inner competitiveness in my spiritual walk as well.  I truly desire to give God my best day to day- unfortunately I don't always make good on that goal.  I want to chase after His Way, His Truth, His Life but the bright and shininess of this world sometimes clouds my path.  There are eternal rewards at the end of His Race, not just a pretty, fancy medal but a "crown of righteousness".  So I will continue to compete and fight till I cross His finish line.

Pretty, fancy medals

2 Timothy 4:7-8 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remain faithful.  And now the prize awaits me- the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return.  And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing."

No comments:

Post a Comment