Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday training run

After going to church and attending a sports camp meeting, I got home around 2:30 pm and decided to head out for a training run.  I live in Florida so it is pretty much hot from about 8 am to 8 pm so I figured it wouldn't make much difference if I ran at 3 or 5 pm- it would still be hot.  Glenn offered to take the kids to the driving range so I headed out dog less for a 4 mile run.

It was pretty sticky and muggy but I able to maintain 9:25 mile per pace which felt pretty good.  Afterwards I did a quick strength training DVD-10 minutes of arm exercises and 5 minutes of leg exercises.  Overall my work-out went much better than I had anticipated. 

My kids just got out of school on Friday so this will be my routine for most of the summer.  I will need to make the most of the time I have and squeeze work-outs in when I can.  I am not a member of a gym so I can't drop my boys at childcare while I work-out.  I will need to be creative about my training schedule which I am sure is what most working moms are challenged with daily.  I am blessed to be able to stay at home with my kids and both boys are in elementary school full time so I usually run while they are at school.

I plan on starting my "official" marathon training routine in July- probably right after the 4th of July.  With the help of friends, babysitters and neighbors, I am hoping that Glenn and I can run our long training runs together.  It definitely helps to have a partner when you are running 15+ miles.  I am excited to begin my training and feel like I have been able to establish a good base these past few weeks.  I pray that we can stay injury-free while we train for the marathon.  I saw Madagascar 3 with my kids the other day and just seeing the sand sculpture of New York City got me excited about what's to come on November 4th. 

What summer work-out tips do you have?  What upcoming races are you training for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment