Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Top 5 reasons why I love to run

Today is National Running Day.  Did you go for a run today?  If you are not a runner, you probably thinking a day like National Run Day is silly.  Why would anyone want to celebrate running?  But for runners, we don't need a reason like National Run Day to run- we just love it. 

So in honor of National Running Day, here are the top 5 things I love about running:

5.  Running can be done solo or in a group.  When I played tennis, I needed a partner to play.  Getting a run in doesn't depend on other people.  I love to run alone but I also enjoy running with my husband or dog or girlfriends. 

4.  Running is a great way to maintain your ideal weight.  I have played and competed in many types of sports but I love my running body.  I am able to keep the weight off by watching my diet but running allows me to eat bad stuff too- like wings, burgers, cookies or a glass of wine.

3.  Running can be spiritual as well.  I have had some of my best talks or ideas from God when I was running.  I just recently started a women's bible study at my church and I got the idea of our slogan while running.  Our theme is "Learn it, Live it, Love it"- I believe you have to Learn God's Word to be able to Live out God's Word then you will fall in Love with God's Word. 

2.  Running can be cheap.  When you are a runner, you really just need a good pair of shoes and comfortable running clothes.  Now you can make running expensive by the gear you buy or the type of shorts you wear but you don't have to do that in order to participate.  Last year I competed in 3 sprint triathlons.  Triathlons are expensive- you need multiple outfits (running clothes, bike shorts and swimsuit- also a tri-suit for race day).  You need a bike, helmet and bike shoes.  Most people do not have an Olympic size pool in their yard or neighborhood so you need to join a gym.  While triathlons are a lot of fun, they require more time and money for the participant.

1.  Running is about me competing against myself.  I am not a fast runner- I am decent.  I usually finish in the top 10-15% of my age group.  I like that I can compete against myself on race day- try for a faster time.  Same goes for my training runs- I can work on running my tempo runs faster or consistently running 9:00 minute miles during a 10 mile training run. 

So those are my top 5 reasons why I love running. 

What about you?  Why do you love to run?  What do you love about running?

No comments:

Post a Comment