Spotlighted Scripture: Read Luke 21:5-38.
Ironically today's reading is about end times. Today is 12-21-12 which is "suppose" to be the end of the world based on the ending of the Mayan calendar. How many other theories and ideas have been presented just in the last decade or so citing the end of the world? But Jesus clearly states in Luke chapter 21 that certain things need to happen before the end will take place.
Some of you might think the Bible and its predictions are just another myth but to those who hold dear to the life-giving words of this ancient text, today's passage is one that should be studied and ultimately bring comfort. I am going to outline the spotlighted scripture, highlighting key concepts from these verses.
- Verses 8-9: Jesus warns us to "watch out that you are not deceived". Many will say the end is near but only God knows.
- Verses 10-11: Jesus talks about wars and nation disasters occurring. We have definitely seen our fair share of these lately.
- Verses 12-19: Jesus warns about the possibility of being persecuted for your faith. BUT we are to consider this an opportunity to share our faith. Jesus tells us not to worry about what you will say that He will give you the words.
- Verses 20-24: Commentators believe that this passage is the prophecy concerning the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in A.D. 70 by the Romans.
- Verses 25-33: There will be signs pointing to the end but at that time you "will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory". So look up- your redemption is near!
- Verses 34-36: Don't worry about these things or let them weight you down. "Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man".